Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Blog #6

          
 -Link#1=  http://www.good.is/posts/death-in-the-age-of-facebook/


           Death in the age of Facebook is a very controversial topic and can be seen so differently through so many lenses. Death in the age of Facebook helps us mourn our losses. When a loved one passes away, we are finding it more popular that people are quick to make a Facebook page dedicated to the deceased. I feel that this new form of mourning is a great tool because it gives us a chance to be with our loved ones and be closer with them for a little bit longer. A source I read talked about a story of a woman supposedly killing a man. A powerful quote in this source stated "Facebook allows people to mourn as a group, no matter how geographically far away-in a way, taking places of cemeteries." When I read this quote, I thought about whenever I go on Facebook. I always see a friend liking or commenting on a Facebook wall saying "In loving memory of ...." and this gives people a chance to say goodbye to their loved ones, or if they're not ready to say goodbye, they can talk to them through the Facebook wall, and if it makes people feel better about loosing a loved one, what's the issue? This quote supports my point because if you're 1,000 miles away from lets say your Aunt, for example, and she passes away, you would want some sort of connection piece where you could talk with others that are feeling the same way you are.
        Making a Facebook wall for a loved one is a very supportive and loving way to say goodbye to your loved one and to help people grieve and mourn their losses. People need a cushion where they can talk amongst others, view nice, unknown pictures, and even talk to the deceased loved one all through Facebook.

Another way of looking at this topic is...
-Link#2=  http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2010/07/coping_with_dea.php
          Death in the age of Facebook is a very confusing and disrespectful tool, which is why when a loved one passes away, we should delete their Facebook account. Facebook rarely figures out if a loved one has passed away, unless a family member lets them know. You could be searching for a friend, find them then all of a sudden see "Miss you ....." It is a very hard emotional process to take in. If I was on Facebook one day, and went to my Grandpa's Facebook wall (he doesn't have one, by the way) and saw all of his family members and friends commenting on his wall saying "I will miss you! R.I.P" It would make me feel confused and it would be such a shock. I would much rather hear that he passed away from my mother more than Joe Smith who has two mutual friends with my Grandpa. I would feel as if my Grandpa was a ghost on Facebook. "Since everyone grieves differently, she cautions against sharing private details of other family members, loved ones or the deceased themselves. Especially in a world in which so much communication happens online, the balming effect of a face-to-face gathering can feel even more magnified." If we feel that it is okay to speak of deceased loved ones over Facebook, where are we to draw the line? Death is such a sacred thing and many people with the many different religious backgrounds, it isn't appropriate and its not the ideal way to deal with a loved one's passing. Everyone grieves differently. That is self explanatory, people don't want to go onto Facebook to check in on new things in peoples lives, and find out that their family member died. It would make someone feel like they were forgotten when someone called around to let family know about their passed away loved one.
       Making a Facebook wall for a loved one or even keeping activated a deceased ones Facebook wall is a very inappropriate way to handle someone death. We go on Facebook to post funny pictures, read statuses about peoples funny pets. I would hope that if I were to pass away, someone would be kind enough to me to get rid of my Facebook account because I don't want to blend in with statuses about pets, or funny pictures. How would you feel if you went on Facebook with a light, and happy mood not expecting to see that your friend had passed away? Would you want to join in on all of the condolences? Or would you want to break apart from that and give the deceased more respect?


    

No comments:

Post a Comment