My older Sister, Emily has several piercing, so I suppose that was one major influence. When I was in 9th grade, I begged my mom to let me get a piercing for my 14th birthday, but she just refused and refused. I was really upset and confused because when my Sister was my age she was piercing her own ears, and even once, my Brother's ears. I guess my Mom didn't really consent to any of those actions, but she wasn't furious about it either.
Half way through 10th grade with straight A's. I would bring up my grades to my Mom each opportunity I could and whenever I did, our conversations would include sarcasm, grunting, and laughter. "Hey Mom, guess what!" "What?" "I just checked the Schools A honor roll and my name was on there. Hahahaha." "Mhmmmm, I still don't want you piercing your nose. I just don't see the appeal in it." "Well good thing It's me who's getting the piercing, not you, right?" We are a very sarcastic family, so even though it might sound like we're being bitter, we all have the best intentions.
Last day of 10th grade with straight A's. So many things are rushing through my head; Summer, friends, job, but mainly nose piercing! When I got home from my last day of School, I asked my Mom if we could get my piercing done that day, since I had been true to my end of the deal, she said "No, not today, maybe later this week." This was a bad sign. I know my Mom is a huge procrastinator, but this was telling me that I might not ever get it.
Finally the day was here. I asked my Mom if we could get my nose pierced, and she said yes! We went down to Leviticus, which was several blocks from my house. We got into the store, my heart was pounding out of my chest. I tell the woman working the counter that I wanted to get my nose pierced and she asked me for my student I.D….and a birth certificate. I forgot to bring a birth certificate. How could I forget that?! My heart was crushed, because I was sure that my mom didn’t want to drive all the way back to our house to get a little birth certificate, but she did! I drove home, grabbed the certificate, went back to Leviticus, and got my nose pierced. The piercing took 5 minutes, and the pain was very tolerable.
Looking back now, in this whole experience, I’ve learned that even though some things in life can seem very discouraging, that still isn’t a reason to quit. If you want something, you have to work for it. I am very happy with my piercing now, and am soon hoping to go jewelry shopping to bling out my nose! In this whole experience, there were so many things that could have gone wrong, but that wasn’t enough to stop me.
No comments:
Post a Comment