Thursday, September 20, 2012
Blog #3
Think about our conversation regarding the four big ideas of media studies. Then, reflect on the commercial clips that we viewed and discussed. What did you learn? Was there any information or ideas that surprised you? What kinds of thinking did you have to do to participate in the conversation about the commercials? Discuss your thinking and comment on any new ideas that came to you through our discussions.
Ads always want something from you. Whether it's your support, or your money. They always want something. Through discussing about the four big ideas of media studies, I learned that advertisers construct messages through ads very secretly. It many not seem so secret to us viewers, but they add a lot of things that they don't actually say. I thought the Dove ad about the natural beauty of women was very clever. I liked it because it showed how society creates an image, then changes it, and again, and again, and that makes us women do the same thing, and it becomes tiring. I thought the ad about Green Peace bashing Dove was very irrelevant and odd. It was attacking Dove with the same format of commercial about their use of palm oil, when in the Dove at they weren't even advertising their actual Dove products at all. It was a little confusing, and a little odd of Green Peace. To participate in the conversation about the commercials, I had to watch the ads in a different way than I normally would, and analyze what the overall message of the commercial was. It was interesting, because I'm now watching commercials a different way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteIlianna,
ReplyDeleteI loved your Dove blog and your analysis. I am wondering, however, if you could analyze Greenpeace a little more. They are an environment friendly organization. So what is their mission and why are they fighting a giant company like Dove?
Ms. A