Monday, October 29, 2012

Blog #5

          In Feed, the way I read it is different from others based on my identity and experiences. I got my identity from being with certain people, going to certain places, seeing/hearing certain things, and when I read a text, I connect with it differently than others would. I feel that two factors that connect me to this book are Age and Gender. Since I am 16 years old, I connect to this book differently than a 49 year old. In Feed there is a lot of use of slang since this book is directed to a younger demographic.I feel that since I am a younger person and the use of slang is so widely used in my generation, I can connect closer to the book Feed.  I feel this way because of the use of technology and slang. I see people my age using technology on a daily basis (i.e Phones, computers, tablets, Ipods) and it affects the way we think and process things (i.e Books!) I feel that since I am a Female, I connect differently and process this book differently than to a Male would. For example, on page 158-159 Titus says "I ran over to them. I was going, "Holy shit! Are you okay? What happened?" and Violet, too, she was going, "Hey-- are you okay?" They stood there and looked at us, "Yuh," said Loga. It's Riot Gear. It's retro." I feel like this connects to me because I know women are more affected to Fashion and Clothing.  When I read that quote I thought of the billions of trends, and  how some can get so popular, but are completely ridiculous. When I go shopping, I see some ridiculous pieces of clothing that I just don't understand who would buy them, but it's the types of people that get sucked into the next big thing like Loga and Calista.

313 Words

1 comment:

  1. Yes, your age and culture influences your take on Feed and I am sure that a girl in another part of the world would totally see it with a different set of cultural lens.

    Keep blogging,

    Ms A.

    ReplyDelete